Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Are You Kidding Me?

Maggie says, "Are you kidding me?"
Christmas is a time to believe, a time to love and share. Many people say they don't believe in God or in Santa or Christmas. Are you kidding me? Who can hold a newborn baby or experience a miracle and not believe in a God who loves and cares about them? What kid doesn't get excited about the tinsel and ribbon under the tree?

Yesterday I helped second graders with their Christmas shopping in the school store. Several times before the children entered the room with the tables of merchandise, teachers admonished, "This is the time to shop for people in your family, not for yourself."

One by one as the kids filled their bags, I led them to a table in the lunch room where we waited for the last minute shoppers to finish. One little boy played with a toy he purchased. "Whose that for?" I asked.

"Me," he said.

"You weren't supposed to shop for yourself," I replied.

"I know." He smiled.

How many of us are guilty of buying for ourselves while we shop for Christmas? I have to confess I am as guilty as the little boy. Yet, I find more joy in wrapping gifts for others, than in satisfaction of buying things for myself.

Think About It
Jesus said, "It is more joyful to give than to receive." Although it is challenging, it is a lesson worth learning. There is a pair of fur lined shoes I'd like to have, but this year, I choose not to think about them. When I see their picture in ads, I delete them off my e-mail, and switch my thinking to others and what I can do for them.

Pray About It
Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief when I am tempted to act selfishly. Help me to trust you to set priorities and make good decisions. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment