Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Dog Got Skunked

My dog, Maggie, can hear things that I can't. Sometimes I think she is imagining things. Like the other night--she kept going outside barking and barking. I thought she was chasing cats. She hates cats! Well, then I heard her running and barking around the apple tree. Then I smelled that horrible scent of a skunk and I knew Maggie was in trouble.

Half asleep, I went to the family room where the doggie door is. Maggie ran in scared, really scared. I picked her up (big mistake). She had that smell on her and the smell got on me. In my slumber I dowsed her and myself with baby powder and went back to sleep. Frankly, the powder didn't work. It smelled good at first but when I woke up, I realized we both got skunked, and so did our bed.

Getting skunked made me think how sin works. When I know I've done something that doesn't please God, I am tempted to do some wonderful things (like using baby powder) so God won't think about my sin. It doesn't work that way. I found out that when I confess my sin, God is faithful to forgive me. Then I don't have to worry about balancing the scale of doing good for every time I sin. The most important thing is that I pray for God to help me live for Him.

If you or your pet get skunked, don't use baby powder. Here are some things you can do that will help:
  1. Don't pick up your pet without first wrapping it in a towel and don't let him/her touch anything in your house, especially your bed.
  2. Bathe your dog using some of these solutions: a peroxide/baking soda bath, orange bath, soda bath, fabric softener bath, or commercial skunk smell removers. Find prices and directions here: http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-skunk-smell/.
Application
Do you try to balance good deeds against wrong things you do? Remember this verse: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9 NIV).

Prayer
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your faithfulness and always being here to get the stink of my sin off of me. I love you. Amen.


         

No comments:

Post a Comment