My true love is our Lord God.
- A partridge in a pair tree is Christ on the cross.
- Two turtle doves are the Old and New Testaments in the Bible.
- Three French hens are three gifts of the Spirit--faith, hope and love.
- Four calling birds are the four gospels--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- Five golden rings are the first five books in the Bible--Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
- Six geese a laying are the six days of creation.
- Seven swans a swimming are the gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesying, serving, teaching, encouraging, helping, leadership, mercy.
- Eight maids a milking are the eight beatitudes in Matthew 5:1-10.
- Nine ladies dancing are the nine parts of the fruit of the spirit--love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
- Ten lords a leaping are the Ten Commandments.
- Eleven pipers piping are the eleven faithful disciples--Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Thaddeus, and Simon (Matthew 10:2-4).
- Twelves drummers drumming are the twelves beliefs of the Apostles Creed.
How many of the twelve can you put to memory? How many point to God and the Bible? How many point to Jesus and His teaching?
Thank you, Lord Jesus, that even in our darkest hours you are real. Thank you for showing us how persecuted Christians in the past kept their faith alive. Help us to focus on you and keep our faith alive and active too. Amen.